Saunak Shah is an Indian-born, New York City-based portrait photographer and graphic designer. Saunak is the Founder of Pursuit of Portraits, a meeting place and online platform to connect portrait photography enthusiasts globally. With over 10 years in the advertising industry, Saunak has fueled his professional life as an Art Director using photography as a medium for self-expression. His work focuses on the underlying narrative of people and the environments they live in and largely surround themes around scale, sense of place, minimalism and identity. He currently works as Global Associate Design Director at IBM iX.
Saunak has worked with Land Rover, Cadillac, Tumblr, W Hotels, Triumph Hotels, 66 North, Scotch & Soda, Fujifilm, Stutterheim, Nokia, HP, Patron, Palladium Boots, Creative Live, AdoramaPix, ADYN, Hex, Daniel Wellington, Hervetvetvase, Jack Erwin, JBL, Other UK, Leonard & Church to name a few as part of social initiatives, community engagement and visual storytelling. In 2016, he worked with Land Rover USA as part of an infuencer campaign that documented the journey of a team of 8 to Iceland. For a similar campaign, Saunak partnered with Cadillac, Stutterheim, Palladium Boots and Creative Live on a trip to the Pacific Northwest that involved facets of content creation, community engagement and advocacy.
- Panel Speaker at Photo Shelter on "All things Instagram" – January 2017
- Curator at "PoP Up at the W"; a photography takeover at W New York Union Square in partnership with Pursuit of Portraits – February 2017
- Resident Panelist for portfolio reviews for NYC FotoWorks.
- Panel Speaker at Gram for a Cause on "Finding your NonProfits Visual Story" – December 2015
- Lead Curator for "The City Exposed", a 360 photography exhibition at Wunderman, NY – Summer 2015
- Lead Curator for @PursuitofPortraits.
- Pursuit of Portraits, a print biannual of portrait photography // Founder, Editor-in-Chief and Creative Director – Fall 2016
- LIFE on Instagram; a photography annual published by Penguin Books, U.K // Contributing Photographer– Fall 2016
- MusoTrees; a Kuala Lumpur-based print publication on journey and destination // Contributing Writer and Photographer (Volume 2) – Spring 2016
- "PoP Up at the W"; a Photography takeover over at W New York, Union Square in partnership with Pursuit of Portraits – February 2017
- Acme Hotel, Chicago as part of the Acme InstaGallery – Summer 2016.
- Chelsea Market, New York as part of a collaboration with Woodsnap in an exhibition titled "Unseen NY". – Summer 2015
- Columbus Museum of Art in Columbus, Ohio as part of #MobilePhotoNow – March, 2015.
- #24HourProject, Guadalajara, Mexico – Summer 2014
- Read Interview on PhotoShelter; a leading resource for photographers and photo industry news.
- Read Interview on Aésthetist; a conceptual magazine investigating global culture & style.
- Read Interview on Umano; a fashion brand founded in Athens, GA on a mission to unleash creativity.
- Read Interview on About.com Travel; an online resource on the latest in travel and social photography.
- Read Interview on Baker+Brown Co; an organization that's continually transforming ideas into reality.
- Read Interview on KeepSnap; one of the fastest-growing networks of independent photographers.
- Read Interview on CreateNYC; a non-profit project about Entrepreneurs of New York.
- Read Interview on HomeGrown; an online resource to young India's route to their roots and beyond